Friday, December 09, 2005

Sak Pase', Dread disasters and one Mondo Gecko...

Monday and Tuesday were normal- school, home, studies, Salsa at night- and i became cool with a 1/2 Haitian Dominican fellow who's girl is an older White German woman. Turns out he is learning English and heard i was teacher from my Vecino (neighbor) Michel. We did about 4 hrs that flew by on Tuesday evening. I have few German phrases here and there that i threw around with his Novia and a bit of Russian to try to impress ;-) (thanks again Dad- Adno itoshke' Kash De Dien... S-S-Diff-day LOL)
In turn for my english, i asked him to teach me the other language i was hoping to pick up here, Creole (Criollo en espanol) . Noo pali twuhp Creole (we spoke much Creole) and the best part abotu this all is, he speaks little English, i - little Creole, but what bridges our convos is the Spanish we both can speak. (Him better than me of course, as its his 1st and a half language).

I feel blessed to be here when he and i speak, along with his girl and it's like 4 languages flying around in a bigger version of Spanglish. Let's call it Cre-onglish-erman-anish.
The next day i decided to try a female friend of his out to wash, clip, and dry my locs, as i am still not trying to do it myself. I explained to her what i needed, and she began to neaten the part with a comb................... and something told me to stop her and look.
Don't you know she had FULLY COMBED OUT one loc on the bottom edge. I feng-shweid my attitude in check and dmeonstrated by re-twisting my own damn loc and having her put a rubberband on the tip. The reason for the bands were because Sosua doesnt have one hair clip for sale and Santiago is 2 hrs away. On the one hand i was mad about that, but on the other hand i know that i'm not "Loc'd" all over yet, i was only gassed. It came out easy. Fixed it and you cant tell tho.
So i mixed up the concoction like i was taught, with a molding mud and an eence of an ounce of black beeswax (please dont kill me all you wax-haters, its only while i'm out here and need the hold) and basically did the whole back by myslef, only having here band the ends and then dry it for me. Turned out OK but 2 days later i went to the Salon on my block and showed them slowly how to. This woman Clari learned it VERY GOOD in like 20 minutes, and for her 1st time, i give her a B++.

Its always raining here (in December) and Wednesday was no exception. The receptionist at school invited my teacher and i over for lunch for (gasp) boneless Curry Chicken. Now i was the one feeling stupid for thinking this was jsut a Trini ting. I DID have to explain Roti and if lucky i may attempt it own my own to enlighten them on it.
When i got home from the lunch/dinner i was greeted on my balcony by none other than the Geico Gecko, who promptly ran to the steel bars of my balcony and hid behind one. I think he is the cousin to one that my teaching friend in Mexico took a picture of on her blog last month.
I was about to go back in when i noticed that he stopped running and poked his eye over the bar to see me.
Huh?i walked closer to him... he stayed. I reached my hand out and soon was 8 inches from his face. He ducked back.I stepped backward towards my screen door, as i got in the apartment, i stayed there staring at him, much the same way he stared at me. Wouldnt i be damned, but he crept out toward ME. Now jumping every few seconds from bar to bar, he was follwing me. I stepped forward... he backed up a bit. I backed up, he stepped forward for a bit. It felt like we were having a conversation.The questions were always the same with him and I..."Who are you,.... what are you,....why does it seem like i can trust you". This convo went on in silence for about 2 minutes, him and i letting our curiosities guide. I ran back in just in time to get my camera, snap a photo of him, and just like that, off he went.
Back to our normal lives and bit more enlightened than the moment before.

(Look closely at the photo's center)

Thursday night saw me going to the disco after my re-loc session. Police stopped me asking if i was from Haiti and where was my passport. A few "I'm from New Yawk's" later i was on my way. Border patrol is abig thing here, and Sosua is about 40 percent Hatian, even tho we are miles from the borderline. As i sat down in Club Clasico, a woman sat across from me and smiled. Being used to this "ladies of the night" thing i gave a half hearted nod and looked away. In that instant the bartender came and asked me what my drink might be. Cuba Libre of course, but as he was leaving, the woman called to him and whispered something in his ear......
2 minutes later he brings me my drink and also my bill...WITH $140 pesos- DOUBLE the price on it. WTF!!! I look over to see said lady happily sipping some red concoction.In my best spanish effort i'm like "oh pardon i ordered on my own". This guy gets belligerent (sp?) all of a sudden saying" look pay this now, why order for a woman and you can't pay, and all sorts of other things that he'd get smacked for if i was in NYC, and not alone in a strange city. I just gave hime a 100 bill and said get the $%%^ out my face and ask her for the rest. As we look at her she gives me the shoo hand signal with an inaudible "Pssss" like she's fed up- and gets up and walks away to dancefloor.
WHAT!
YOU get me in troubles with the bar and on TOP of that to defuse this i pay an extra 30 pesos AND you shoo me, when i wasnt going to talk to yo stank azz anyway. Dont play me like them old tourists you used to leeching off of.

Oh alas, the Cancerian in me is VERY vindictive at the end of the day. Damn me, Cancer-self.
I simply made my way around the club in the other direction... collecting a few cigarette butts along the way with tissue.........
Rounded the bend where she was near another table and had just ut her still-fresh drink down... she still didnt see me... turned her head for a split second and in TRUE ninja fashion i slid in, doused her drink with pure cigarette trash, and hit the dance floor before she notice.3 seconds tops!
I looked over in time to see her face as she picked up her glass and saw all the trash in it. Oh what i would give for a picture. Energy is a mutha because she looked right back in my direction coincidentally as i was Salsa spinning some lady on the dancefloor.... i gave her the SHOO hand signal, and a very
lip-readable PSSSSShh and a smile - turning my head and ignoring her instantly.

Classic.

14 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just be easy and play nice with the native or a flight will most definitely be in order. Got a big exam coming up this weekend. I'll hit you when I pass.

Say a prayer for your bro. Cheese and Rice (catch and save some for later)

 
At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Usted es un hermano fresco. He gozado leyendo su blog sobre la pareja pasada de días. Yo no puedo esperar hasta que llegue a la República Dominicana este verano.

Aiight enough of that..........lol your one cool brothter, i've enjoyed reading your blog for the past couple of days, can't wait to get to the Dominican republic this summer. Since I'm 1/3 Dominican hopefully I can blend in ...........even if I do have dreads.

Nasir in Charlotte

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL --I am still laughing, how dare she make you pay for a drink...but you got her...thats was great. Be careful down there, but it seems you can handle yourself. I know you know better than to put wax in your hair, and I cant believe that chick combed out a loc!! OMG! I left you some tips in your fotki on how to do it yourself. You don't need clips and you don't need a holding agent...olive oil (extra virgin) is fine and twist yourself and be done with it...you dont need anything on the ends...you'll be ok. Hey, I wanna see the gecko! Take care!

 
At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your boy did it yet again!!!! Acedemic Goal for 2005 met. NASD Series 7 and 66 certified kid!!!!!!!

Wish you was up here to celebre but no worries. A venture to the DR will be in the near future.

Just had to give you that quick update.

Latas
J

 
At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TRIFLE says to J the test passer:

YES SIR!!! The 7 AND the 66. You know i'm right on yo coat tails as soon as i get back as i have some 2006 goals to execute myself. When you come down we will pop a bottle of something for sure!

TRIFE SCHAMADEUS

 
At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TRIFLE dice a Nasir:

Gracias para las palabras sencillo y si tu eres veniendo al area Sosua/Puerto Plata yo puedo recomendar muchos lugares bueno para cosas como comiendo, bailando, aprendiendo o cualquiera tu te gusta hacer.

La cosa sobre haciendo Dreadlocs aqui es que tu nombre cambiara' al Rasta LOL.

Nos vemos

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TRIFLE says to MrsCrowder:

Don't kill me on the wax, i actually got the formula from one such immaculate dread but the ratio is like 20% black wax to 80% Sebastian's Molding Mud. After these 3 months i will return to normal for sure... but i havent checked your advice on Fotki yet so i might be talking smack right now.

Oh and most certainly i am careful here. I carry the same guard up that i do in NYC - but honestly police here shoot their shotguns for fun so the crime rate is not what one would think.

Talk 2 ya in few!

TRIFLE

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TRIFLE dile a el otra vez:

Desculpe', me falta. La oracion es "La cosa sobre TENIENDO Dreadlocs..."

 
At 4:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waddup Fambilly,
Feeling the posts man cigarette trash is a classic got me wanting to set up a Blog ting.
I been reading bout u studying, teaching etc, I know you gotta be spittin too whats the mc's saying out there? Holla Back
Big Dutty Stinkin Serocee

 
At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Word the kids are expecting a serious album. Or better yet Albums!!!! I got the Studio Money so talk to your boy.

Cheese n rice (save some for later)
J

 
At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

RainOnFire,


hey man. i didnt see any new posts so im writing to this one. the last one i read was about that chick who put her drink on ur tab..... foul as hell b. but u handled it muy bueno. im flying back to my spot tomorrow mornin. jus wanted to holl at cha. say my farewell for the year. i hope u have a wonderful xmas and a happy new yr..... so far it looks like u r doing well out there. keep it up....... aight!!! lata man

 
At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've actually wanted to leave a general comment because I've read alot so far. I'm happy to see that you are having an incredible time over in DR.

Be careful, try not to get into any confrontations.

Peace and blessings

 
At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok so why did i spell my own name backward

 
At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH!! So I see you have had run ins with the police about being haitian...that's interesting. I know I get mistaken for haitian all the time.

How "freca" is this chick to order a drink for herself on your behalf and then get nasty with you. I love that you threw trash in her drink undetected. That was hot sh*t!! These are really good stories and I can't wait to read more! The gecko is so cute. Those little things are all over the place!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home