Friday, November 04, 2005

My black people... >:(

I've come to a conclusion.
Some... not all... but some people, are very content to do nothing with their time AND/OR lives.
Let's take *Brick and Crillz for instance (names have been changed). Brick, Crillz and I have grown up in the exact same neighborhood forever, Laurelton, Queens. For those that don't know it's basically a part of the bigger Southeast Jamaica (Queens) area.
Part suburbia, part crack and drug town, very 50/50. You could either be a doctor or a hussler, a cardiologist or a killer, whatever floats you. But there's always a choice.

We have a main strip and coincidentally i live right off the main strip. That fact saved me in the long run. I could never hussle with my friends over there because you could look right out from my house and see me on the corner. My West Indian parents would have very literally killed me.
Brick and Crillz on the other hand, both had lenient parents and could be outside until whatever time and this was from around 12 or 13 yrs old. I would sneak out after 11pm and try to be down with it all. We all rapped (well) so ciphers till the AM's were the norm.
Over the years we all had our ups and downs. I was peddling *green but stopped and focused on my career, Crillz went into acting (and can be seen in the back of some of your favorite CBS shows), but Brick remained on the block. Got arrested, got out, got arrested, got out.
I've accomplished a lot since then. Working on Wall street at 18 yrs old, being 2nd in charge of sales at a Tech company by 21. Losing it all after 9/11 and stepping into the non-profit business realm by 24. Becoming a certified EMT-B on the side and also being a volunteer ESL teacher most of this year. Plus leaving to live outside the country.
Crillz also has done too much good things with his life to list .
But Brick.... I didnt yet mention that Crillz and I are both around 25/26 and Brick is 30 (gasp).
Now that's VERY young, but thats TOO old to be doing nothinig with your life. I wont say what industry he is in but a good friend of mine (Neo) was tired of seeing him lollygagging and got him a job with a friend that owns his own biz. On Brick's first day i go to visit my boy Neo and Brick is there!!
Ok WTF?! "Isn't this your 1st day Brick"
"Yeah but i forgot to get some equipment and i have no ride there"

PLEASE tell me how you wait until the first day to get your equipment??? Please.
You'll ask me for a ride to pick up cigareetes, but not to go to work? Help me understand someone!

Then the kicker, I was watching TV at Neo's house with Brick there yesterday and some school Devry type commercial comes on. First thing outta this fool's mouth.... "Yo why they always trying to make a nigra get a bullshyt degree like that's gone do something"

It'd keep your azz off the streets is what.

School isnt everything, but focus is. Something most schools Should teach you.

Focus people... Focus.

14 days until lift-off!

4 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, I wonder if I know these characters of which you speak! :-/

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Shaun aka TRIFLEmc said...

It's possible ;-D

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Shaun aka TRIFLEmc said...

By the way click on "Other" on the post's "Choose an identity" list to leave a name of some sort.

 
At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shaun that was so deep seriously. I miss you. It's interesting reading your blog/catching up with you after all these years. I've always wondered what you were up to and what you've been doing and I'm joyful that it's something positive! Keep it up sweetie. I'm gonna keep reading.
Mirna :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home