Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Realizing that I speak 6 languages already... maybe more!

We all do in are own ways.

I was sitting here online and being inspired by a certain Nappilyshe to create an album detailing my beloved family home of Trinidad and Tobago. Those in my offline life know i rep each and everyday even in jewelry but as one person told me, "you're crazy about this Spanish sh*#t", and I wanted to show love to every place properly.

I started unconciously began bussin out some Trini-talk, the bootleg version (Sawry abowt dat, but I bawn in New Yawrk ya blasted scunts) that i picked listening to both my parents, whom both being born and raised there until there twenties, have very strong accents, although it still sounds like regular english to me (you follow?). I was like HEY wait a minute! This is English but to the average American i might as well be speaking Japanese.

So that's two down and it got me to analyzing. There's the language and speech pattern I use during business or at the office. That would make 3, and then add in the language (read: slang) i use in New York City in general, which if i take to Georgia or Cali they don't always understand fully (and vice versa Whoadie). So four down.

I bet some of ya'll speak a few of these, substituting my Trini for Jamaican, Bajan, Haitian, etc.

Then to make 5 I HAVE to add in the Laurelton Queens slang, which can illicit "temple-scratching" from even fellow New Yorkers or Queens-ites for that matter. A language with enough izzies, iggidies and illogically placed words to hurt your brain if you listen. Like the dances in the movie "Rise", anyone can make up a brand new word or placement at anytime on any day (a bit like turning "What's the verdict" into "what's the vertical" but a thousand times more deeper and creative). It's fun to hear what's next because it stimulates the images of your mind. That's probably why and how our people learned to rap such elaborate tapestries over break-beats.

But i digress. So that's 5 and then if i work hard enough, lord-willing I'll be adding Espanol (and some creole?) to that.


So think about it some time and ask yourself... how many languages to you speak?

3 days until lift-off

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home