Friday, December 02, 2005

On the 6th day of Trifeness, my true love gave to me, a par....

Ok maybe this is day 6 or 7 depending on how you count. So far i've had 3 classes and they are going well. I study much in my free time and i also have my LearningSpanishLikeCrazy CD's, which are definitely a plus to have. On Wednesday i went to the beach again with the couple next door. I swear that i will bring my camera next time because i CAN'T describe how beautiful the scene is. Between the water, sand, and sky/sun combo, i can feel like i'm in a postcard. After a refreshing swim in the Caribbean Sea we mosey'ed on back to the apt and decided to do dinner together again. I provided the previous nights dinner so they in turn did for me. We feasted on Mangu (Plantains prepared like mashed potatos) with baked and friend chicken and some rice and peas called Moro(which these Dominicans swear I'm eating for the first time- had to school them on Trini-food being the exact same with a different name). Beemn meeting a lot of Germans and other foreigners who have opened up businesses here and speak like 2 and 3 languages. My intelligent self has been feeling pretty stupid for knowing English only, although i can run circles around them if they want to have a writing contest. Ok yes, still feeling stupid after that last line of self-biggup.

Missing people in NYC for sure and wishing they could experience it all with me.

Back to said business conversations- if i play my cards right i may one day own something here 2. Something has to be said for a bar and/or night club that pays the same rent that i do now (barely a few hundred) to operate a cash cow. When i told them rent in NYC for a biz is easily upward of $6-8,000 US- most of them laugh me out the place.
There is a black guy from Cali who has been here for a year and owns the aforementioned Karaoke bar. He reminds me of my father in not only age range, but in the sense that he can't ever REALLY retire. Turns out he just came from living as a diplomat in Jamaica for 4 years, and Florida before that, where he owned proerty in the 80's (also like my Dad). We spoke mortgages and such for quite a while.
He used to sing on the side and never made it, so that's where his bar came in- to feed his dream- and surely he can be found doing half the singing on any given night.

Today is really sunny and i thinks i will go read more of a book that i purchased back in grade school, a sequel to the House of Dies Drear called Drear House Mysteries. It's about a boy and his family who move from N.C. to a house in Ohio and discover it was a stop on the under ground railroad. This is part 2 where they are defending treasure artifacts found in said walls and chambers of the house.
Funny thing is i've had the book in my house library for years (ok so we all love to read) but never opened it. I found a note from my 4th grade self to my future self detailing an episode about a girl getting me in trouble but it honestly being not my fault. Anyone remember Letis W. (LOLOL- i know a few of you do).
Its funny cuz i hated her then but ran into her around 21 and we became fast friends that season. Lost touch soon after tho. I had never even known i wrote that all this time.

Today after class the receptiionist at school, who is studying law, asked me to help with some English homework, knowing i tutor ESL in the States.
Everything was smooth until the True or False section, which was about (hold your breathe) how "most of the great philosophies, math, and architecture was invented in Greece by the Aristotles, Socrates', and Hippocrates'. OH PUH-LEASE M%#$$^%THER#$&*CKERS!

So after my 20 minute break down (read: Dissertation) of the GREAT THEFT OF EGYPT, i got a few oohs and aahs, but alas, had to help the girl pass. So we agreed to treat the story true until after she turned it in. Then she could know the truth and tell others.

Until next rhyme people.

The MC

12 Comments:

At 2:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What up Triggedy.. I am hating just reading this blog, try not get stuck up there on Giligans Island..lol

I have root canal that needs to be taken care of on thursday. Any advice other the word RUN...? lol Start posting up those pics soon, I am dying to see some visuals of the DR..

-Scrip

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TRIFLE says to SCRIP:

Well you know i know a thing or 2 about a root canal. My advice, take your longest rap song, and recite it over and over in your head while they are doing the work. You know you and i got songs since we was 14 yrs old so you got about 11 years to choose from.
The pics will be coming next week.

 
At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely my kin, let then know exactly how things go (as far as history concerns :-) Also please emphasize on the fact that modern day Egypt is not the same as ancient Egypt as Upper Egyt (the 1st Cataract and above aka Upper Egypt, where the European and Asia settler/invaders resided) was actually part of Northern Ethiopia prior to 3100BC (aluding to the Negroid population as oppose to the current day Arab/White/Black mix). And also please let them know about the Black King Menes. (I'm not even going to get into this and Northern Chem/Lower Egypt which is actually the coastline for the Mediterranean Sea).

Alright I'll stop :-)

Dowgs, your brothers baby shower was lovely. You know I had to go back to the house and chill how we chill :-)

Yo dunnie, just to inform, I toke care of your Sunday weeklys and your things should be in order accordingly.

I'll take this opportune time to exit.

Wish I was there (soon will be)

Your Bwoy
J

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TRIFLE says to MR. Philosopher-Pharaoh Jay-Hoh-Tep:

I couldnt have said that better myself. Ok i have to do a new "My black people" blog for the likes of our type of intellectuals.
Can you beleive we were talking about this stuff back in freshman year of High School.

Thanks for toking care of things
:)

 
At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nah no worries bredren. Just take care of unno self and business and we even.

Guidance!
J

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh like this, I see now. I was looking for a leave your comment link somewhere on your home page. Funny thing is that I get excited reading about your new travel, not in a weird way but just in the sense that I admire the chance that you took to broaden your own horizons. My best friend traveled alone last year to Italy to study the language intensively for two weeks straight. I would like to think that I have it in my to be so bold and hearing the stories of others makes me believe that it is possible for me to.

It is so easy to let things like family, work, money, etc. hold you back from taking a turn in a new direction.

I have had my hands on a Peace Corps application since 2003 and now that I am married that just seems like I may have missed my opportunity. However, there is hope to make the most of the year I will have to face alone yet again when he goes back to Iraq.

Today in KY we got hit with 2-4 inches of snow and schools are closing early and so forth. Are you kidding me!! I am from Jersey and it takes a lot more than less than half a foot to but a damper on ones day. The south certainly operates differently.

Point being, enjoy the beautiful weather that the DR has to offer. How long will is the language program?

As for salsa, Miami should offer up lots of opportunities but I'll have to wait to see what happens. I don't like to push him too much when it comes to things he is uncomfortable with.

It's just hard for me to accept that some folks are void that inner pair of dancing shoes that makes you catch a good beat when heard or at least bob your head. SMILE

Well take care of yourself and take some pics!!

Eternallysacred
(fotki friend)

P.S. Too bad that if I ask you for that mystery comment that I know I will be in violation. LOL That said, that pic of me even made me blush when I first saw it. For a split second I saw myself through another's eyes and was like "oh yeah!!!"

 
At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

check this out
http://www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=5099

scroll down and click to "The Short Video Clip"......after ten+ years Busta made the big chop and it's interesting to see how hard it was to cut the first loc.

Styles come and go but because we have to nurture our locs in such a personal way I think they grow to become a special part of us.

 
At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TRIFLE says to ?:

Who is this that left the all hip-hop link. I thought i was one of the few who'd known about that site.

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TRIFLE says to EternallySacred:

I appreciate you following the journey because truth be told I'm trying to inspire, just as i had been by a few individuals over the past year or so. My whole life i'd dreamed of living anywhere but where i was. I'd often felt that i lived a past life elsewhere (LOL sort of).
I'd been looking into a one month intensive in Guatemala last year, but after my DR trip in March, i just knew it had to be here.

Honestly i thought 4 weeks would about do it for me but as time went on i discovered a blog by a NJ guy who left for Spain. I began to realize teaching English could take me anywhere. If i wanted to learn Japanese- or live there expenses/apt. paid for- i could make so much money there right now with little training, time-wise. (like 4-8 weeks)
I began saving in the Spring.

The final straw was when i met a fellow teacher at my ESL school who had just gotten laid-off, and was palnning to live in Mexico for a year. She might have been the only one to tell me my idea wasn't crazy, or just about "the ladies".
She moved the end of September and i finally said that's it!
After my job let me go i pushed up the date and voila! Tres meces aqui (3 months here).

I know the time spent without your loved one will be difficult, and suggest to go anywhere and do something like this during the waiting period. I believe it would ease the stress of thinking about his situations out there, etc. and also give him a more culturally aware you to learn from and with when he returns.

Ok sorry for this side blog.

 
At 5:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that was me (eternallysacred from fotki) who left the allhiphop.com note about busta! Glad to see that you are already hip to it. Smile

 
At 12:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GIVE IT!!!!!

J BK

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perpetuation of evil. What are they teaching them! I guess same thing they tried to teach us!

I envy people who speak many different languages...i really do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home