Friday, December 09, 2005

It's been a long time...The weekend rap-up

Ok so I know its been a while, and i'm here to update just for you.

Last week Saturday i decided to visit my family in San Francisco de Macoris, in the country (el campo). I got up early that morning to view the sun from my roof, and had a conversation with Anthony, the Guyanese guy who bought the top apartment and is also the administrator. He had many a question about the difference between Trini and NYC and what GT was like for him.
This guy is about 48 living an early retirement from Toronto. Sold his house, bought the Flat, and with the excess money he bought 2 WICKED motorbikes and a car.
He was nice enough to buy my a cappuchino and when i told him i needed to get to Caribe Tours (Dominican GreyHound) he offered to get me there on his bike in time for the 9:20am bus.
Got there just in time and along the way i got some wonderful photos/footage of the mountains, countryside, etc.
The pla was to go from Sosua in Santiago (2 hrs w/ the stops along the way) and then into La Vega to the south. From La Vega i was told i'd have to catch a taxi to San Fran. 3 hours later, as i exited the icebox called a bus, i hailed a taxi in La Vega. "Hombre, Seis Ciento pesos de aqui a San Francisco". What the %$^#$ck do you mean 600 pesos! He proceeded to tell me it was such and such kilometers away and blah blah blah. So I told him "Mira, ese es un precio para una tourista. SinVerguenza!". (Look! Thats a price for tourist, you're not serious). A moment later, a motoconcho pulled up offering half the price. GREAT DEAL RIGHT! About $10 US dollars. WRONG, but more on that later...
Got on the bike and proceeded to have one of the best 1/2 hours of my life, riding through the palins of the mountains and feeling so small and humble, yet part of something so big. Lost all the feeling in my arse in about 20 minutes but hey, they DO say beauty comes with a price.
We arrived in San Fran and i remembered the town instantly. Forgot my fam's address but anyone who knows me knows i need only visit you once to get to your place easily forever, even with no street names. I saw the route to a guy named Vlaudio's house and caught my compass from there. A little directing thru town, left at the Hospital and we pulled down the steep street to Hanlet and TaTa's wonderful abode. TaTa was outside in the sfront sweeping. It was a great reunion with them, their nephews Dorphi and Hiero and 15 year old daughter Hani (Ah-nee) who speaks great english from school. Peas and rice and 3 fried plantains later- they showed me the pics from the Quinceniera we attended for Hani in March (Sweet 15 party). They go ALL oput with wedding size cakes and all that. Was that me with the braids on in that shirt.. almost forgot about that era so close ago. I have to get a copy or a photo of a photo real soon for all the fam up NORTH (in the snow might i add...oh sorry! Not funny, huh).

Hanlet, my sis's uncle, was impressed at my growth in Spanish and proceeded to take me around town, country and other family abodes, eaching me words all the way. I appreciated that he took the time my own father, when i was a nino, to explain every little thing we saw (This is the roof, this is a broomstick, lightswitch, bridge, sky, clouds, river, lake, steel rods, waterhose). NO LIE, at the end of the night i wrote down all the words he had showed me, it was 72!!! And all were commited to memeory already. There is something to be said about learning while doing. It's so much better than the static methods we use in school, that leave your head before they say the words HomeWork. Went out with Dorphi, who regulates Rooster fights (yes its a nice paying profession here) and for lack of a another word is simply the man in the neighborhood. This dude switched from work clothes to some Jay-Z sh&t and off we went. He's one of those people who everyone has to stop and talk to, regarldess of age and gender. Sat down and tossed a few cold ones back. He put me on the music of Rauline Rodriguez. I hung out wiht Juan Ramone, too- a40 something cat who palyed the role Hanlet did the last time i was here. Went back in for the night around 1AM.

The next day, as i was going to hail a moto back to La Vega, i got put onaka smacked with truth that i could have caught a bus direct from Santiago to San Fran for 70 pesos! Yes $230 pesos less that it took to ride that damn bike from LaVega.AND it is one hour less time span.
Schyoooops! (Sucks teeth)
Caught the GuaGua (little bus) back to Santiago and made it home in time to cook me some chicken and rice.
I learned more from them than in my whole week at school. And the school is good so thats saying alot.
To be continued....

1 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, they hear your accent and before you can even say they are already ready to overcharge you. Dominicans are gifted at taking your money and trying to charge you too much if they think you are not from around there.

It is amazing how much you learn by looking at something. I think you learn it better because you have something real to associate it with in your mind.

Although you got overcharged for the moto, I'm sure it was a good trip and that you got a lot of great photos from it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home