Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Doing U a disservice....and a lot of Good News

Hola mi compadres,
Desculpame! Please excuse my lack of blogging this month- it has been a big one mentally, physically and emotionally. Even professionally. So...

Emotionally:
I'd first like to announce the new addition of ANOTHER BOY to the family, my new nephew Jayden Victor the newest little Trini-Dominican on the block. Born on the 17th. My brother Kev and his wife Odalia have there hands FULL right now, but that's wassup! He has my fathers middle name Victor(go ahead and smile Dad- i hear you've been ear to ear all week!), so it looks like i might get "the girl", one far far day away. So many boys born in this fam...
get your daughters ready LOLOLOL

Mentally:
As much garbage as i had spewed about finally getting some headway in this language that i desire, i feel like every 2 weeks i realize i wasn't doing sh%&$%t. I say this because, as much as i had begun to have conversations, they were still quite difficult for me. I can't explain how or why, but sometime around Jan. 15th i woke up... and spanish has been flying out my mouth. And my comprension has been unbelievable to me. To the point that even my close neighbors were like "What happened with you, have you lost your nervousness or something, or been drinking" LOL. I mean literally i've been on a rampage and i guess they are right, i finally have lost my fear of flying so to speak. I've been doing car rentals, utility payments and all type of things with an ease that i didnt have before. Even translating "live action" for other tourists who need to speak with a person but can't. and so I've decided.... I AM STAYING until APRIL, give or take, instead of my original February return date. Hey- i figure screw it, I'm so close to my goals now that i'd be doing a disservice to mySELF if i left right now, personally and professionally.

Physically:
Tired! I finally had a VISITOR from NYC-side, my best friend BK Jay. He came down to celebrate passing the Series 66 and 7, and also because he's about to start classes for his Microsoft Office Certs. (Ya doing big tings der bwoy). He came down on the 20th to the 27th. That same week i acquired a kickass cold which left me with no voice (coincidentally at the same time i was talking more daggone spanish). But that didn't stop me from a few laughable attemps at the Karaoke bar. I also began Salsa lessons that same week (sheesh) so between going out at night bcuz my boy was on vacation, doing the dancing lessons, nursing my cold, and waking up like 9am every morning for my school and SOMETHING else, i was beat. I'd went days going without more than 3 hours of sleep while Jay slept nice and comfortably each morning (son of a #!$%#$%$%!). To the point where i couldn't even drive the jeep we rented one night cuz i was so tired. Mind you, after dropping him to the airport, i was halfway home when i realized HE DIDNT GIVE ME MY HOUSE KEYS back!!! He would have them while i was at school usually. Had to bust the U -turn and gun it back to Puerto Plata, and by the grace of god, a security gaurd got it for me DURING last call for boarding. It was my luck bcuz i was not allowed in the area and so i had to rely on my description of him being clear enough in spanish for the gaurd to find him! It worked (!), and i got 'em (phew). Jay will be writing his own report on the trip which will be posted here for the day to days of the last week. His spanish grew fast in 7 days as well. We took a lot of pics which will post as soon as i recieve them.

Professionally:
That SOMETHING else that i've been waking up for... last week Monday, my school officially HIRED me to start last Tuesday to teach English 5 days a week for 40 business days (40 lessons). I'd been giving a few lesson around the 'hood on my own, but now i am official!!! It's funny bcuz to keep people out my financial biz (people want to know how a 25 yr old could just pick-up and live here) i'd been saying that i work and teach at my school. Here's to self-fulfilling prophecies!!
So i take my lessons for 2 or 3 hours in Spanish, and immediately after i teach for an hour. My salary is based US dollars AND comes to at least half my rent each month so kudos to THAT! The thrifty Cancer strikes again!
My student, a young Dominican woman, is actually learning FAST, and i'm glad because i don't teach from a book really. I have books but i always end up doing things my way and so that coupled with a fast learning student makes the lessons glide by, at the students pace.
In a very lucky turn of events, i came into work today (or school LOL) and there was a Russian woman in the office. A quick "Cak Dela" to her and a "You speak some Russian?!!" to me in spanish (I dont, just some phrases- Thanks Dad!) and i found out that this lady needed to learn English and fast. She said word for translated word "I want a teacher who doesn't rely on books all the time, i want to speak WELL, not just read and write". How perfect was that! Sounded like ME she was talking about and so.... now i have ANOTHER official student,, although in the evenings, so now I'll be closing the school down at night like an actual employee (which i suppose, i am :-D) and with that extra income, my rent is paid in total, at least for the next few months.
I thank God for smiling at me this month, and sending us Jayden. God bless


PS- More BIG news from my other and oldest brother Andre' in Georgia soon!!!!!! I would mention it now but there are certain persons who need to remain clueless for a short bit. Until next rhyme,

Shaun, the TRIFLEmc

5 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the birth of your Nephew Jayden. It is always a blessing to welcome a new life into a family.

Congrats again on deciding to stay in DR to pursue your vision even further.

Everything seems to be coming along for you and in the words of Marcus Garvey:
“God and Nature first made us what we are, and then out of our own created genius we make ourselves what we want to be. Follow always that great law. Let the sky and God be our limit and Eternity our measurement.”

You are accomplishing everything that u have set out to do and then some. Keep doing your thang.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Xinefoto said...

I was going to email you today if I didn't see an entry!

Sounds like it's all going so well. I'm so happy to hear it! So many good things going on in your life; you deserve it.

But I wish we could somehow beam over to each other's new countries just for a little while to spend some time together and see what it's like.

Keep us posted!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Mr. Cheeks Mom said...

I'm glad that things are going well for you. Life in NY is what it is but nothing compares to th4e fun in the sun your having. I look forward to reading more about your adventures in your blogs. Best wishes.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger MJ said...

Congratulations on your new nephew!!!

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous E.Antonia said...

Congrats on the new addition to your family. I'm actually checking you out a little more (youtube follower) lol. I go by mfldeastcoastladies. Idk, you sparked an interest. The fact that you are a young man making big moves and decisions is amazing and respected. Hopefully I could see you doing one of your rap performances live. So nice to read about someone non-native speaking so nicely about D.R., so much hate and lies on line. This is refreshing,thank you for that. I have definitely been telling family and friends about you. God Bless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home